quinta-feira, 21 de junho de 2018

A phone in 2018

First about the title, why phone? Because most of us now have a smartphone, not a phone (which for me means either a dumb phone or a feature phone).
Some months ago I was feeling too much connected to my smartphone, and constantly thinking that although I was connected to it I wasn't getting anything in return.
Most of my social networks only show me products and not people. Most people will only show me cats and dogs and products and...it make no sense...since I am all day on the computer.
I started searching and came to the conclusion that I wasn't the only one. In fact people do videos about it, and this one for me was one of the best:


After watching this video I decided I would go back to a basic phone. In fact I always had basic phones laying around, from the simplest black and white Nokias (iconic models like the 6510 and 8310) from the color screen ones.
But this time I went on the consumist side and bought a new in box Sony Ericsson C702 for 20eur. This is one of the latest feature phones, dated from 2008 that is waterproof, has 3G, integrated GPS, bluetooth and whopping 3.2 megapixel "cybershot" camera.
This was the phone that I decided that would "substitute" my iPhone SE. Why?
- I wanted bluetooth to connect to my car's handsfree (you can always use corded headset)
- I wanted to be able to receive more than 160 character sms (B&W Nokias don't, they split it)
- I wanted to still be able to take pictures
- I wanted a featurephone that could sync my contacts with a cloud service or at least could import the ones that I have (thanks MyPhoneExplorer)
And a month later what I have learn with it?
1 - This things are slow, so you train your patience, and you value much more sending an sms.
2 - Since GPS on this phones is almost as paper map and not turn by turn navigation you end up planing your trips and be sure you have your old GPS charged (I had a TomTom One from 2006 laying around)
3 - Since you don't have social networks (in fact you can have facebook but the experience is so horrible that you don't use it) you end up doing more things, in my case I started reading again.
4 - Again with no social networks on your hand, you end up being more assertive and booking meetings immediately.
4 - Old games are amazing, specially puzzle bobble or frozen bobble.
5 - There are still some "apps" for this phones that are usefull, like "Weather", Trekbuddy and Opera Mini.

Did I stick with it forever as I meant? No. Why? Mainly because of Instagram.
What will I do about it? Whenever I feel to I will go back to my featurephone. In fact the more I use the smartphone the more I feel the need to disconnect.
If you feel to, try for yourself and let me know your feelings!


0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário